Wednesday, December 26, 2007



Things started to gel a bit after Savannah. We trekked through the Carolinas and Virginia and made a few stops that you can read about here: Juli's Blog!



This was my first time visiting the great D.C. What struck me was the long drive that divides the North from the South. In between, it just seemed like a huge stretch of giant forest. I began to understand, through the geography, the cultural & historical divisions that exist between the two since before even the Civil War.





One minute you're in the wooded boonies and the next its all concrete and white paint. There was the Capitol, The Lincoln Memorial, The Washington Memorial. Sadly, we didn't get to see the White House. The Powers That Be closed off all roads leading to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.





But, one fabulous bonus was that we ran into the original Batmobile (from the 1966 TV show) which had been left unattended in a local public parking lot. It was the real deal for sure. All of the interior was pristine but clearly antique, including the muthafuggin' red Batphone!!!



Next up was the University of Baltimore. Now this is a town with some HISTORY. And some of the worst poverty I've ever seen firsthand. The kind of destitution that even the most diehard Rush Limbaugh fan would have a hard time dismissing. The sky was grey and things were beginning to cool down for jackets. We also visited an ancient graveyard that dated back to the city's origins. The show itself was charming, though seen by few. It was refreshing to have help from the university staff, even if its body seemed fairly disinterested in the arts and perhaps more interested in law. Did I mention this was a paid gig with accommodations?



Philadelphia, PA. While everyone else was eating broccoli and chicken, George and I snuck off and had a REAL Philly cheesesteak (minus the cheezewhiz). I could spend some serious time here. I really like the tempo of the people and it reminded me of San Francisco a little bit. Nirvan's friend Rebecca gave us a tour of the city which I really enjoyed.



Later that night, we performed at the renovated "Silk City Diner" which is a pretty hip place. The road had eased up on us a little bit and I was well rested and this made the poor scheduling of the Philly show somewhat more tolerable. We played. It was loud. The drunks had fun. End of story. The food however, was frigging AWESOME. Overall, good memories of Philly.



Brooklyn, NY. Wow. I'm so glad that Juli had such a great time at Vox Pop Cafe cuz, for me, by the end of that show, I was DONE. It was just more bad sound, more bad musicianship. Not what I had hoped to promote "Everlovin" with. Actually, I enjoyed everything about Brooklyn except for the show. I loved Vox Pop in the rain. It felt so nice and cozy snuggling up to a hot late and a book, I could've stayed another night.



Times Square, NY. This may have been the highlight for me. We got on the roof of that bus and drove straight through Times Square in heavy traffic as though we were on parade. Come to realize that's exactly what we were doing- having a little parade. Waving and hootin' n' hollerin' and acting like some kind of celebrity on Thanksgiving day!! That was such a gas!!! The crazy part is there were cops EVERYWHERE and not once did they order us to get back in the bus! Afterward, the Evangenitals broke with the 1 Second Crew and went to another cool eatery that was vegan friendly with a few old friends. Later, we crashed at Juli's brother's pad where we reunited with her mom. It was great to see her again and briefly meet her brother, Jayson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home